Tuesday 27 April 2010

ASV brake and clutch levers

I haven't spent any time on this blog since the beginning of the year, so it's time to blow the cobwebs away!


Today I received a set of ASV levers (brake & clutch) that I promptly went to fit on my Thruxton.


© Marc Michon - 2010



The first lever to go on was the brake lever (it's best to start with the easiest job, it leaves you more energy for the more difficult job.



© Marc Michon - 2010


Before working on my bike, I always like to disconnect and remove the battery. Now let's have a closer look at the levers.

© Marc Michon - 2010

As you can see, the ASV levers have a straight shaft rather than the curved one of the OE part, as well as having a refined micrometric span adjuster rather than the crude four-position knob. All I had to do to remove the OE lever and fit the ASV was to undo the fulcrum bolt: a five-minute job.

© Marc Michon - 2010

And now to the piece de resistance: the clutch lever. This job is trickier, particularly for a mechanical numpty like me! First off, you have to slacken the clutch cable at both ends, and remove the ends from the handlebar lever and the clutch activator on the engine casing.

© Marc Michon - 2010



© Marc Michon - 2010


Now, I can remove the OE lever and replace it with the ASV part. I just had to undo the fulcrum bolt, switch levers and tighten up the bolt, making sure that it would not be too tight and hinder lever movement.

© Marc Michon - 2010


Now, all I have to do is fit the cable stops back in at both ends, and tighten up the cable. Battery back in and connected, tools tidied up, and off for a shakedown run.

However, it isn't that simple; it would appear that the I've nipped up the cable too much, so tomorrow I'll have to loosen it up at both ends and start again!

And why did I fit these levers in the first place? Because if the bike topples over, or has a low-speed fall, the levers will just pivot forwards until they are practically perpendicular to the handlebar.

© Marc Michon - 2010


Also, the micrometric span adjusters mean that the levers (particularly the brake lever) are within easy reach of my little pinkies!


No comments:

Post a Comment